Here is a complete overview of what hardware you need to have in place for successful testing. You will also find links to related topics throughout this article to help you get started
Lexplore’s reading assessment requires these devices:
- Laptop and charger
- External Monitor
- Tobii Eye tracker.
The equipment setup: External monitor, Tobii eye tracker, laptop with the Lexplore Testing Application installed on it. The Examiner uses the Laptop, and the external monitor is connected to the laptop. The pupil sits in front of the external monitor which has the Tobii eye tracker mounted underneath.
These are the minimum standards for any PC purchased to run the Lexplore software and system:
The Examiner's laptop must be a Windows pc.
Lexplore’s software does not demand a lot of capacity, but there are still minimum requirements in order for the software to work properly. Please see the listed requirements below.
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro or Home (S Mode / Safe Mode is not supported)
- Display: 12” screen, with 1920x1080 resolution
- CPU (processor): Intel i3 2Ghz or higher e.g. Intel i5 or i7
- RAM: 4GB
- Disk space: 5GB of available disk space
- 1x USB port (2.0 BC 1.2* or 3.0)
- Connection for Monitor
1x: HDMI port, USB port (USB 2, USB 3, USB C) , VGA, or DVI
- Connection for Eye Tracker
1x: USB 2 or USB 3 - preferably
You can also use a PC if a laptop is not available. If you chose this option, you would still need an external monitor.
Recordings are temporarily stored on the computer until the upload is completed. The pupils reading pattern (eye movements) and the voice recording are analysed with a machine learning model in the cloud. The results are then presented in the web-based Results Portal.
The pupil sits in front of the monitor during the assessment and reads from its screen. Here are some important notes:
- Size: 15” – 27”
Resolution: minimum 1366 x 768
- The distance between the pupil and the monitor screen must be 50-80 cm.
- Monitor should be adjustable both in angle and height, in order for the eye tracker to work properly.
- Monitor stand should be quick and easy for the Examiner to adjust for each pupil. Ideally, you should be able to tilt the monitor screen forward or backward as needed.
- On the monitor is where you mount the magnet in to attach the eyetracker to it. It should be attached to the bottom center of the monitor’s frame.
- Connection to the laptop must be suitable. We recommend HDMI, but other digital connections are also possible as long as the resolution is fulfilled.
More on external monitor requirements
The eye tracker sends out infrared light. The light is reflected in your eyes. Those reflections are picked up by the eye tracker's cameras. Through filtering and calculations, the eye tracker knows where you are looking. The eye tracker can detect the presence, attention and focus of the user. This is relevant to the Eye Tracker that will be used together with Lexplore Testing Application:
- Lexplore Testing Application is compatible with with the models Tobii Eye Tracker 4C and/or Tobii Eye Tracker 5L
- This device is connected to the laptop with USB 2.0
- It’s mounted to the external monitor with a magnet that comes with the eye tracker.
Lexplore requires the installation of Tobii Service software for the eye tracker to work. This is an MSI package that requires Administrative privileges to install. We recommend our customers distribute this through a software center.
More about the Tobii eye tracker:
Besides having your hardware in place you also need to install two pieces of software. The one mentioned above (the Tobii Service) as well as the Testing Application. For further information about what software is required click here.
🛎️Here at Lexplore, we love to help our users with their questions and provide self-help guides for quicker service. Please vote below on the Question of whether or not this article was helpful. 😊