The production of the texts.
The texts read by the pupils in the assessment were developed by our researchers and educational experts. They had to fulfill several requirements to give a true and fair result and have been compared with other teaching materials used by each year group.
- The texts should be similar to other texts the pupils read in their specific year group.
- They have the same complexity in terms of the number of sentences, words, and the proportion of long words as other texts pupils read in each year group.
- The texts should not be longer than necessary so pupils can easily maintain concentration.
- Texts for each year group should have the same appearance in terms of, for example, line length and line number.
- They have been composed so all pupils in a year group can access the text, even if some pupils find them more difficult than others.
- The texts should have a coherent narrative and content so that we can easily measure pupils’ understanding.
With the Lexplore test, a pupil will never read the same text twice.